Holiday Green Tips
- Put less packaging on your gifts. Reuse wrapping paper; use old newspaper, magazines or whatever you have lying around. Reuse cardboard boxes and packing peanuts. Buy recycled or tree-free cards made from materials like hemp or send e-cards! Don’t forget to shop at green companies.
- “Regifting” is not a crime! Pass along hand-me-downs and heirlooms. These are also called “story gifts” because they have a story behind them.
- Recycle your holiday tree when you can no longer use it. Put it outside to provide shelter for local wildlife or compost it!
- Use reusable utensils, plates, napkins and table cloths for your meals. Compost leftover food.
- Volunteer your time to communities and organizations that are most in need. Donate unwanted gifts.
- Give gifts from the heart instead of the store! Offer to help with chores or other tasks. These can be more valuable than consumer products.
- Use plant-based ingredients for your holiday meals. Not only are they better for the environment, but they also taste good too! Check out some recipes for inspiration.
- (Source: Earthday.org)